It’s been a while since I’ve posted. Life is a new momma is the most amazing adventure and I love it with all my heart. But man. It’s busy! Getting meals made is still a struggle on some days.
One of the local places where I get together with some of my “mom friends” and babies is this cute little coffee shop that is also a play zone for babies and toddlers. Wonderful idea! They make some delicious looking baking, most of which is glutenous of course, but they do have some amazing buckwheat crepes and these moist, delicious breakfast bakes.
I decided that I needed to figure out the recipe for these yummy morsels. It’s taken me about 6 attempts but I finally figured out a recipe that is very similar. Now I can eat these eeeeeeveryday 😀
And bonus….my breakfast is ready to go. I just heat it up slightly (or not), add some fruit and eat while my baby is munching on his breakfast too. Love it! Hubby loves it as a snack for work too.
Note: If you don’t want to buy amaranth, not a typical pantry staple I realize, just use more oats. But it’s tasty. Amaranth is a small seed-like grain that was traditionally eaten by the Aztecs, cool hey?
1/2 cup amaranth
1 1/2 cup quick oats, certified wheat free if needed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups milk or milk alternative
Zest of one orange
1 teaspoon vanilla
Toppings: sliced peaches, blueberries, chopped nuts, jam, seeds, apples, etc
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease 12 muffin tins or mini loaf pans.
- Melt butter and add to a medium sized bowl. Beat in eggs. Add the remaining wet ingredients to the bowl and whisk together well.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Divide between muffin tins. Add your optional toppings. Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in pans, then loosen edges and finish cooling in wire racks. Keep in the fridge for up to 4 days or store in an airtight container in the freezer for longer.