The Best Veggie Burger
I’ve searched for a long time for a good veggie burger. Not just any kind with flavour but the texture has to be right, not too mushy in the middle, crisp on the outside with the texture in the middle.
This recipe was easy to adapt to gluten free with some quick substitutions that I had in my pantry anyway. We splurged on some gluten free buns and had a gorge-fest on these high protein, high fibre, non-animal protein beauties!
Give these a whirl! Make a big batch and then freeze the rest individually wrapped in parchment paper.
Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows
Yield: 8 burgers
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Flax eggs: 2.5 tbsp ground flax + 1/2 cup warm water, mixed in bowl
- 1 cup oat flour, certified gluten free (or other flours likely work)
- 1.5 cups gluten free bread crumbs (Dry out some GF bread in the toaster oven and then processed until fine crumb)
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed and roughly pureed or mashed
- Heaping 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley (or fresh herb of choice)
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped (toasted if preferred)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, (toasted if preferred)
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil or other oil
- 1 tbsp gluten free Tamari (soy sauce)
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Fine grain sea salt and black pepper, to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp salt or a bit more)
1. In a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic in 1/2 tbsp oil until soft and fragrant. Mix your flax egg together in a small bowl and set aside for at least 10 minute to allow it to thicken while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Place all ingredients (except spices and salt) into a large mixing bowl and stir very well. Then add seasonings and salt to taste.
3. With slightly wet hands so the dough doesn’t stick, shape into patties. Pack dough tightly as this will help it stick together and not too thick. I made 8 medium patties.
4. Cooking methods: You can fry the burgers in a bit of oil on a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side. If baking in the oven, bake for 25-30 mins (15-17 minutes on each side) at 350F, until golden and crisp. For the BBQ, pre-bake the burgers for about 15 minutes in oven before placing on a pre-heated grill until golden and crisp on each side. We fried them in a skillet and they were awesome.
5. Serve on a bun with all the fixin’s and a nice green salad! Is it summer yet?