The flavours of the vegetable ingredients are the essential flavours in this dish. I’ve been indulging in local, organic food boxes all throughout this summer. I’ve finally got my favourite vegetables all in one box….zucchini, tomatoes and eggplant. Love it.
Ever seen the movie, by the way? It’s charming. And will make you want to make ratatouille. Moral of the story…the cook wins over a famous food critic with a traditional French peasant dish. What a wonderful lesson in cooking simply. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgiK-HWKPjw
There are a lot of different ways to cook this dish. I prefer it to be simple and I make it without milk ingredients….just vegetables, herbs and spices. Delicious.
Start with the freshest ingredients
- Olive or grape seed oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Zucchini, sliced
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Oregano and basil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Chop the onions, eggplant and add to hot pan with a couple tablespoons of oil. Cook down for about 5 minutes or until starting to become translucent and tender. Add garlic, season with fresh or dried oregano & basil, salt and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a casserole dish with oil. Add the cooked eggplant and onion mixture to the casserole dish.
- Thinly slice zucchini and layer over top of the eggplant mixture. Sprinkle with oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
5. Thinly slice tomatoes and layer over top of the zucchini. Sprinkle again with basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
6. Serve with hot steamed brown rice or toasted hearty bread. You may season with Parmesan cheese or your favourite sharp cheese. I served this with crumbled toasted pecans to make it vegan. Delicious.
Who says delicious food has to be fancy? 🙂