I haven’t made buckwheat pancakes for AGES! Why did I wait so long, I do not know. I just received an order of a bunch a gluten free flours, including buckwheat flour. Despite the name, buckwheat is actually gluten free. It’s actually not a grain but a grass!
What I love about buckwheat flour, aside from the nutritional benefits, is that you seem to be able to use it in the same way as flour. I can make buckwheat muffins and buckwheat pancakes without having to use other flours or starches to make the texture or flavour acceptable.
Do you have berries glore? I sure do, since it’s that time of year. Hubby and I recently went berry picking and got 14 cups of saskatoon berries in only an hour! I love free food.
I adapted the recipe from the Simple Veganista. I also used her recipe for delicious maple nut butter syrup! Nutritious food sure can be nutritious!
Oh and did I mention they were chocolate pancakes? 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, or milk of choice
- 1/4 cup light flavored olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, optional
Maple Nut Butter Syrup (serves 2)
- 4 tablespoons almond or nut butter of choice
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water + more as needed