Tea and crumpets, how cheerful that sounds! My Mom used to buy crumpets from the store when we were kids, usually blueberry ones and we would have them for lunch sometimes.
These technically aren’t crumpets but they taste very similar to the ones I’ve had. Traditionally they are made like a pancake in a frying pan and held in the shape of a circle by a ring as it cooks. I made these like a biscuit and they turned out wonderfully, especially with the nice moist and sweet hint of sweet potato in every bite!
These go with a cream based soup very well or can be a nice brunch accompaniment. Enjoy!
2 cups of gluten free flour mixture
Dash of salt
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter
3/4 cup milk or substitute
3/4 cup mashed and cooled sweet potato (leftovers work great)
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Mix together dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until pea sized. Mix in mashed sweet potato.
4. Mix in milk and stir until just moistened.
5. Using a ice cream scoop, portion batter onto baking sheet making approximately 16, spaced an inch apart. Bake in oven for approximately 20 minutes or until slightly browned.
Serve warm. For leftovers, reheat gently in the oven/toaster oven for 5 minutes or in the microwave until warm.