I’ve been on the prowl for a nutritious and TASTY muffin recipe for a while…in gluten free form that is. The problem is that all the light and fluffy ones are filled with refined white flours and all the whole grain-nutrient-dense muffins are dense like a rock and dry, dry, dry. I needed to find something in between.
I used an old muffin recipe that uses half oatmeal and half flour (swapped that out for a gf blend), added some ground flax and then threw in some pureed pumpkin from my freezer. I was surprised how much of a difference the pumpkin made to the end product! It was moist, fluffy, tasty and still fresh the next day in my lunch! I feel good about this recipe because, although it does include some refined flour, I’ve amped up the fibre by including whole brown rice and sorghum flour, ground flaxseed and pumpkin. Also nutrition benefits include low amounts of added sugars and the use of liquid oil.
– 1 cup quick cooking oats (certified wheat free)
– 1 cup gluten free flour mixture (I use a mixture of brown and white rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch and xanthan gum) (see my recipe at the bottom)
– 1/4 cup ground flax
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1 tsp cinnamon plus more on top
– Dash of salt
– 1 cup milk of your choice (I used coconut)
– 1 egg, beaten
– 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
– 3 tbsp oil
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 400F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix only until just moistened.
5. Using a ice cream scoop or measuring cup evenly divide batter among the muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
Store in the fridge! Enjoy!
The gluten free flour that I used was equal parts brown rice flour, white rice flour, sorghum flour and tapioca starch with some xanthan gum added. I made a giant batch (make sure to mix it really well with a whisk and store in a 5 L jar or container)
- 1 Bag (24 oz or 4.25 Cups) Brown Rice Flour
- 1 Bag (24 oz or 4.25 Cups) White Rice Flour
- 1 Bag (24 oz or 4.25 Cups) Sorghum Flour
- 1 Bag (20 oz or 4.5 Cups) Tapioca Flour (aka Tapioca Starch)
- 2½ TBSP (0.8 oz) Xanthan gum