Need a quick family dinner? This is a fabulous side dish for a hearty soup or stew on a cold, chilly day. Make your soup the night before or have it cooking in your slow cooker while you are out for the day. Have the dry ingredients pre-measured in a bowl for when you get home and supper’s on the table with 5 minutes of prep and 20 minutes of baking time!
It’s quick, simple, easy and can be dressed up in many different ways. Like herbs? Throw in some thyme and rosemary! Like cheese? Add some sharp cheddar! Like them plain? Add some homemade jam or honey at the table!
– 2 cups gluten free flour mixture (homemade or prepackaged like Cup 4 Cup, Bob’s Red Mill)
– 1 cup EACH whole wheat and white flour
– 2-3 tbsp ground flaxseed (optional)
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/3 cup cold butter or dairy free alternative like Earth Balance/Vegan Becel
– 1 cup milk or milk alternative
Add in flavourant of your choice (optional) – garlic powder, herbs, shredded cheese, etc
1. Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix together dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
3. Add butter/margarine and mix with a pastry blender or two knives until butter is pea-sized.
4. Add milk and stir only until just moistened. Use a cookie scoop or spoons to drop onto baking sheet.
5. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes about 12 biscuits