For the seventh ball of Christmas I’d like to offer you….After-8 Balls!
After 8’s used to be one of my all time FAVOURITE treats over the holidays when I was a kid. I guess it was the mint and chocolate combination that won me over. Okay…still is one of my favourites. Looking on the label this year I see that one of the ingredients is made from wheat so that makes another confection that people with celiac disease cannot partake in. By the way, I was horrified last year (our first gluten free Christmas) to discover that Lindt Chocolate Balls contain barley malt (sad, sad day)!
Anywho. This recipe is an easy homemade alternative! I made them into balls to fit within the theme but I’m sure I could easily make them into squares. Just spread chocolate on some parchment paper (freeze), spread on the mint filling (freeze)….then add some more chocolate! I’ll have to try that later….
1/2 cup coconut oil + 3 tsp, divided
3-4 tbsp honey (depending on sweetness preference)
2-3 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp-1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Mix coconut oil and honey together well. Add peppermint extract and shredded coconut. Refrigerate, stirring every 5 minutes or until it holds its shape.
2. Place baking sheet in the freezer for 5 minutes. Line with parchment paper. Using a spoon scoop about 1 teaspoon worth of mint mixture onto the paper. Makes as smooth as possible but it will still taste good lumpy! Place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes or until hard.
3. Microwave chocolate and 3 tsp coconut oil until very liquidly. Remove mint balls from the freezer. Dip bottoms into chocolate, return to parchment paper, freeze 5 minutes.
4. Place mint balls with coated bottoms on a fork and pour chocolate over top using a spoon. Allow extra to drip off and return to the baking sheet. Finish remaining balls.
5. Freeze for another 10 minutes, until hard.
Store in the fridge! Makes 12-14 balls