My fellow dietitian blogger Jessica Penner of Smart Nutrition in Winnipeg posted this recipe to her blog….and boy am I glad that I tried it out! Of course I’m on a pumpkin food jag at the moment so it wasn’t a tough call.
What I love about it is that it’s really simple and easy to make, doesn’t make a lot of dishes, and the flavour from the toasted pecans, spices and pumpkin is really amazing! All week I’ve had it with some almond milk for breakfast and sneek handfuls out of the container when I pass by it on the counter…..mmmmmh.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups rolled oats (wheat free if needed)
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup raw or roasted pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas)
- Combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, pumpkin, and brown sugar in a large pot. Heat over medium low until the oil has melted and all ingredients are well combined.
- Next, stir in the spices and salt.
- Then add in the oats, pecan, and pumpkin seeds. Stir to combine well.
- Pour onto a large baking sheet. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Stir and bake another 10 minutes.
- Granola is done when it is just starting to turn brown (look for a golden colour). If it’s not done yet, stir, put back in oven, and check at 3 minute intervals.
- Store in an airtight container.