I found this recipe on pinterest! It’s kind of like a blonde version of our favourite black bean brownies! I was excited because instead of flour and oil in conventional cake, it uses chickpeas which provide a rich and moist flavour and texture to them! After I made it I thought that pumpkin would go very well with the texture and boy did it 🙂 Try it either way for a nice high protein and satisfying treat! The flavours of the ginger and cinnamon go nicely with this cake and it keeps well in the refrigerator for work snacks! Happy autumn!
1 can of chickpeas, rinsed
3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce OR pumpkin puree
4 eggs OR 3 eggs and 1 flaxseed egg (1 tbsp ground flax plus 3 tbsp water)
1/2 – 3/4 cup white sugar (depending on how sweet you like it – I used half a cup and it’s mildly sweet)
1 tbsp finely grated ginger or 1 tsp dried ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Add applesauce or pumpkin, rinsed chickpeas and eggs/flax egg to a bowl. Blend with an immersion blender or use a conventional blender, scraping down the sides as needed.
2. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients together.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9X9 inch square baking pan.
4. Mix dry ingredients with the wet ones, note it will look more like pancake batter but that’s okay! Pour batter into pan. Drizzle with a little maple syrup on top if desired.
5. Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean!