I received inspiration from looking at a vegan website the other day. It was a delicious looking recipe for a vegan rice loaf! Why had I never thought of making a meatloaf out of non-meat ingredients before?! Since we’re currently limiting grains for health reasons and couldn’t have the bread crumbs in the recipe, I whipped up my own version using quinoa, cashews, flaxseed eggs and lentils! Nutritionally it’s a powerhouse! It’s a fantastic source of protein – quinoa, lentils AND cashews are all fantastic sources of protein. The nuts give it a nice almost cheesy flavour and the rosemary really brightens it up. Hubby was making happy mouth noises as he munched through it. Also please try it with my artichoke and sundried tomato sauce…it was divine!
Although the ingredients may seems expensive to buy (quinoa and cashews) – think about how people don’t bat an eye buying $40 worth of steak for a weekend BBQ….it’s all about perspective….
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup of cashews, ground in a food processor or coffee grinder to a coarse powder
1 can of lentils, rinsed
2 flaxseed eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed and 6 tbsp of warm water – let it sit for a few minutes)
1/2 – 1 full sprig of fresh rosemary or other herb of your choice!
3/4 cup of milk or milk alternative (almond, soy, coconut) or just water
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder or fresh garlic
1/2 large onion, minced
1. Cook quinoa (or use leftovers like I did!). Prepare flax eggs and set aside to thicken.
2. Add quinoa, lentils and ground cashews into large bowl. Add flaxseed eggs and the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
3. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper and press mixture into pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven at 350F for about 1 hour or until set and browned.
5. Remove from pan by inverting onto a platter or plate. Allow to cook slightly before serving.
Try serving with green vegetables and the artichoke, sundried tomato sauce!