Porridge is a dish made by boiling ground, crushed, or chopped cereal in water, milk, or both, with optional flavourings, usually served hot in a bowl or dish.
Breakfast has been the hardest meal in light of our recent dietary restrictions so I was pretty excited when I found a recipe for a grain free porridge! It’s quite good, highly nutritious, filling and extremely adaptable! So many variations are possible – using different seeds, nuts, fruits, nut butters, etc!
Ingredients for 1 bowl or ingredients for bulk batch (store in air tight container):
– 2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds or 1 cup
– 1 Tbsp chia seeds or 1/2 cup
– 1 Tbsp ground walnuts or 1/2 cup
– 2 Tbsp unsweetened, shredded (or flaked) coconut or 1 cup
– 2 Tbsp chopped dates, apricots or raisins or 1 cup
1/2 cup cereal mixture = one serving of cereal. Use 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of water for 1 serving.
1. Boil water in a pot. Add cereal mixture and stir well. Turn to low and simmer for about 1-2 minutes until thickened to your preference.
2. Add toppings of choice such as raisins, berries, chopped nuts, honey, coconut cream, milk, fruit, maple syrup, etc. Eat warm.