Photo credit and recipe adapted from: http://www.artandthekitchen.com/2013/04/chocolate-covered-coconut-bars.html
So I finally cracked and bought one of those large jars of coconut oil. I’ve been hesitating for a while because I didn’t want to jump on the “bandwagon” of those that claim coconut oil has miraculous benefits despite the lacking research. HOWEVER it seems that at the very least coconut oil will not do harm in terms of heart health – and it’s a good source of calories for those that need to amp up their energy intake….so I bought some. And I’m glad I did, it’s delicious. It just melts in your mouth. My recipe didn’t turn out as pretty as the one above so I borrowed it to encourage people to try it out 🙂 I did a slight adaptation and cut back on the honey and substituted chocolate for straight up cocoa/coconut oil drizzle. Trevor’s been eating it twice a day, I have to make more soon!
Another bonus – guess how many ingredients are in here? Four! Coconut oil, coconut, cocoa powder and honey!
Note – for those who are watching their waistlines – 1 tbsp of coconut oil has 130 calories (a heft amount) so be warned this isn’t a light recipe! Enjoy, like all decadent things, in moderation.
1 cup of organic coconut oil, liquified
1/4 cup honey, liquified
2 cups unsweetened dried coconut
1 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp honey, melted
1. Place coconut oil and honey in a pot and melt until just liquified.
2. Add in dried coconut and mix well.
3. Mix drizzle ingredients together in a small bowl and microwave until just melted (doesn’t take long).
4. Line a 8X8 casserole dish with parchment paper and pour in mixture, smooth. Drizzle chocolate mixture over top.
5. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until hardened. Cut into small pieces and enjoy!