One of my all time favourite recipes has got to be black bean brownies. I feel better eating a decadent dessert made with pureed beans….and hey, no flour! I decided to experiment today with cutting out the sugar and substituting instead stewed raisins and also using a flaxseed “egg” instead of the real deal.
I ate three today alone.
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
2.5 Tbsp of ground flaxseed with 6 Tbsp water
3 tbsp any oil of your choice
1/2 cup lightly packed raisings (or dates)
3/4 cup cocoa powder (high quality is best)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin tins with papers (12)
2. Prepare flax “egg”s in a small bowl and set aside to thicken.
3. Add raisins and 2 tbsp of water to a bowl and microwave for 1 minute until steamy and softened.
4. Add all ingredients to a large bowl and puree until smooth. If it’s a little thick add 1 – 2 tbsp water (should be like chocolate frosting texture).
5. Evenly distribute into 12 muffin cups and smooth the tops as best you can.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are dry and edges start to pull away from sides.
7. Store in air tight container in the fridge.