This is one of my favourite fall recipes and it’s special because you can’t BUY green tomatoes at the store! So it’s a once or twice a year treat. My mother-in-law brought us up some so I cooked them up for supper tonight! Mmmmmmmh sure hit the spot. It was easy to adapt to be gluten free – I just swapped a different flour and then used crushed rice krispies (corn flakes would be good too). Voila! Just as good with a slight adaptation. 😉
Green tomatoes (about 4 medium tomatoes)
1/2 cup potato flour or other gluten free flour
1/2 cup gluten free rice krispies, crushed
Spices as desired (I used garlic powder and chili powderl)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Chop green tomatoes into thin slices.
3. Toss lightly in flour.
4. Dip in egg.
5. Coat in bread crumbs mixed with spices. (I crushed them up in the food processor or you could use a rolling pin or glass and crush them in a zip lock bag)
6. Place on lightly oiled baking pan or parchment paper lined pan and spray lightly with oil.
7. Bake for around 30 minutes until coating is crispy.