Recently made these yummy little treats for a visit from family. We were hiking up a mountain and needed a quick gluten-free lunch on the top of the hill! They were eaten up in no time.
Chickpea and Yam Cakes
1 large yam
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 onion, minced
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Spices of your choice (I used garlic powder, basil, Mrs Dash Table Mix, salt and pepper)
Olive or canola oil
Sweet chili sauce
Lettuce leaves (optional)
1. Pick the yam with a fork and place on microwave safe plate with a few tbsp of water and cook in microwave on HIGH until cooked through (about 15-20 minutes). Alternatives you can cook in boiling water on the stove. When cool – squeeze insides into a bowl. Mash until smooth. Chill in the fridge about 30 minutes until cook.
2. Microwave chickpeas a few minutes until soft and easy to mash. Mash chickpeas in a bowl.
3. Add cooled yams to chickpeas. Add minced onion, spices, feta, and egg. Combine well.
4. Divide mixture into 12 or so portions and shape each into a patty.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place patties on lined sheet. Spray with oil (or lightly brush). Bake in oven, turning once, for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Serve with lettuce leaf and sweet chili sauce.