I was in the mood for honey mustard chicken the other day but since I try to limit my meat consumption to only a couple times a week I decided to experiment with using tofu instead. I was pretty satisfied with the result – the tofu was a tasty medium for the yummy tangy sauce and I felt better about my ethical choice of protein in this dish! It’s important to give the tofu some time to develop the flavours in any recipe or else it might taste a little bland.
- 1/4 cup smooth Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 2 small sprig rosemary or other herb
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, mix sauce ingredients. Cut up tofu into cubes. Mix all together in a bowl and refrigerate 1 hour to overnight to marinade.
2 Preheat oven to 350F and spread tofu into a baking dish, cover.
3 Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly and hot.
Sprinkle some freshly ground black pepper over the tofu before you serve.