Had all the fixings for the stew – so I whipped it up for dinner.
Delicious Beef Stew
– 1 tbsp canola oil
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 1 parsnip, diced or sliced
– 2 carrots, diced or sliced
– 3 small potatoes, cubed
– 3 sticks of celery, diced
– 1 pound stewing beef – sliced into bite size chunks
– 1 can (500mL) of diced tomatoes (no salt added)
– 1 low sodium gluten free beef stock cube or 3 cups of gluten free beef stock
– Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
– Italian seasoning or basil and oregano (to taste – around 2 tsp)
– 2 cans full of water (omit if using stock)
– 2 tbsp rice flour in 2 tbsp water
1. In large stock pot, heat oil on medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, parsnips and saute about 5 minutes. Add the beef and cook until just browned on the outside.
2. Add the tomatoes and juice, stock/water, spices. Cook on medium-low until vegetables are tender.
3. Add the flour and 2 tbsp water in a jar and shake to mix – then add to the stew while stirring and cook until thickened.