I made this salad for work – incorporating traditional food ingredients to the Kenora area. Wild rice is grown all around this region and is a nutritious alternative to brown or white rice which is higher in carbohydrates. I added lots of vegetables to make this even more nutritious. I adapted this from food.com.
1 cup wild rice (uncooked)
2 cups shredded carrots
3 green onions, chopped
1 chopped red pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1. Cook rice according to directions on the package.
2. Drain rice well and place in large salad bowl. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
3. Mince carrots, onions and red peppers. Add into bowl with rice.
4. Mix olive oil, honey and vinegar together in small bowl. Whisk in salt and pepper to taste.
5. Pour dressing over salad, mixing thoroughly.
6. Add fruit and sunflower seeds, stir in.
Makes a lovely potluck dish!