Last night I made a wonderful and tasty meal of stuffed peppers. Quick, easy and nutritious. The main ingredient in this dish is quinoa – it has grown in popularity over the years due to its amazing nutrition profile (a whole grain that is a complete source of protein) and versatility (mild flavour and cooks up in 20 minutes!). I always have a stock of quinoa in my cupboard!
I adapted a recipe that worked out deliciously well!
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Adapted from epicurious.com
1 c. raw quinoa
1.5 cups low-sodium chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
3 medium bell peppers
3 tbsp olive or canola oil
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
pinch red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
2 grated carrot
½ cup reduced-fat crumbed feta cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF
2. Cook the quinoa:
– Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve under running water.
– Put 1 cup quinoa with 1.5 cups of stock in a pot and bring to a boil.
– Reduce heat to minimum, cover, and let cook 15 minutes.
– Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes before fluffing.
3. Cut peppers in ½ lengthwise leaving on the stem. Remove seeds. Lightly brush peppers with oil and place, cut side down, on lightly oiled baking sheet. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until slightly browned, but not collapsed. Remove from oven.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
5. Mix together quinoa, spices, grated carrot, and feta cheese. Scoop quinoa mixture into peppers on baking dish. Place back in oven for 10-15minutes until heated through.
6. Serve with salad or vegetables and a glass of milk for a complete meal.